Saturday, February 13, 2010

Doing The Math On Coupons

According to an article at yahoo.finance.com, an hour spent cutting and clipping coupons can yield about 100 dollars in savings. Coupons are making a come back, thanks to the recession. The article goes on to say that in America last year, 3.3 billion coupons were redeemed last year. This was a 27 percent increase from 2008, and the first increase from year to year in 17 years. The article also explains how coupons went out of style, seen here:
"At first blush you can see why coupons fell out of fashion for so long -- and why so many consumers still ignore them.
You have to make time to visit a coupon Web site or collect the flyers from your mailbox, the supermarket or newspaper inserts. You need to sort through to find the ones you want, cut them out, stick them in your purse or wallet -- and remember to use them when you are at the cash register and you are trying to remember whether you bought everything on your shopping list and where you parked the car.
Average saving per coupon: Just $1.44, according to the Inmar report.
But let's treat this low finance topic for a moment the way we treat high finance. Let's subject it to the same math.
How long does it actually take to clip and use a coupon? Certainly the more you use, the less overall time you will spend per coupon, because so many of the costs -- getting flyers, sorting coupons and so on -- are generalized. Let's assume you spend a minute per coupon.
Saving $1.44 for a minute's effort is the equivalent of saving $14.40 for 10 minutes'.
Hourly rate: $86.40.
Maybe this would be as good a time as any to point out that the typical American working stiff -- those lucky enough to have jobs right now -- climbs out of bed each morning, goes through the miseries of commuting and endures the daily grind at the workplace for about $20 an hour.
Furthermore, money saved comes with an additional benefit. Unlike the money you earn at work, it is tax free. No payroll taxes. No federal or state income tax.
If your marginal tax rate were, say, 20 percent, you would have to earn $108 before tax to take home $86.40. If your marginal tax rate were 30 percent, you'd have to earn $123.
Very few of us ever do this kind of math, because we tend to treat low finance differently from high finance, and small sums differently from big ones. No wonder, even today, 99 percent of coupons are thrown away unused.
Yet finance isn't a separate topic from the rest of our personal lives. For all of us, our scarcest resource is time. Putting the right value on it, and putting it to the most productive use, is a financial challenge, as well as a personal one."
So my question to you is, would you or do you clip coupons? Do you think it is worth your time to use them? Also, is it a good idea for more Americans to use them?

9 comments:

  1. I never really clipped coupons until I started going to college and had to operate on a much more restrained budget. I do feel it's worth trying to find coupons to stores that you often go to, because you can definetely save a lot. I wonder what the effect would be if everyone started using coupons, though. Would that put a strain on businesses?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Likewise, coupons are generally a new thing for me. I think most of that is because so many places around Kalamazoo (as a small city with a high student population) are trying to create incentives for area college students. Places like Spice 'n Rice realize the demand for cheap campus food and recognize coupons as a good way to initiate consumer flow.
    Personally I'm fine with this technique.
    A, E, T

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely can relate to this; I got several coupon books as soon as I got here and I use them all the time. Also, www.retailmenot.com is a great website where you can search for coupons and print them out... It has saved me a ton.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Coupons seem like they would be a really great way to get people to go shopping more. I know when I look at coupons I feel like using them even if I don't necessarily need the product. Americans enjoy feeling like they got a good deal. Perhaps coupon manufacturing should have been part of the stimulus package.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't clip coupons until I meet a friend of mine junior year of high school. Her family has a whole coupon system...its kind of crazy, but I'm really glad she pointed the benefits out to me. While each individual purchase may not seem like you're saving that much the savings really do add up in the end. I think that based on the amount of money I've saved taking the time to cut coupons out is totally worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never really had the patience to clip coupons, but after seeing the math spelled out, I may begin using coupons. I think it's a great way to save money on essential things that the costs of can add up. A,E

    ReplyDelete
  7. I definitely agree that coupons are making a comeback. Although there are downsides, the benefits of them are worth it. There are several times a month, where I will be up late studying, and i want food. Thanks to places like pizza hut and spice and rice, there are always coupons i can count on, in order to feel less guilty to spend my money. Cutting coupons is definitely new to me, however, I am definitely grateful, as I think most students on fixed incomes are.

    ReplyDelete
  8. to a shopaholic person like me... the coupon is really important, most of the times I would love to take a little while before I go to bed to see on the dealsea website...how to save money? It all starts from several dollars, don't look down on those "petty cash" in our daily life. Especially to the college student, our budget are limited, we should become more productive! After read this post, I'd love to say, I will keeping clip the coupons as before!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Coupons are great invention to stimulate people to go shopping...It is a little bit time-consuming to collect them, but you can save a lot of money as time goes by. Actually I'm learning to clip coupons now and will keep doing it.

    ReplyDelete